Tuesday 28 March 2023

Aggregate Industries’ Moorcroft Quarry generates more concerns

Aggregate Industries' Moorcroft Quarry in Plymstock near Plymouth has not only been causing its neighbours concerns about dust and the removal of trees – as we posted here and here – but also about disturbing vibrations. 

A concerned resident wrote to SAG last week about this ongoing issue: 
I am a nearby resident of the quarry and for the last two years have been experiencing vibration in my house, particularly during the early hours which disturbs my sleep, sometimes 4 – 5 times a night. I have contacted the manager and the area supervisor who has passed it on to their consultant at [redacted]. I have been speaking to the consultant for at least a year, providing a diary and descriptions etc. I’m totally disillusioned with him as I feel he is only trying to protect Aggregate Industries and isn’t interested in solving my problem. 

I believe that the stronger vibrations, which I generally feel between 5 & 6 am, emanate from the asphalt plant which is approximately two hundred metres from my house. Whilst other lighter vibrations are maybe caused by a water management system/pump. 

I contacted my local council this year, they investigated but couldn’t detect any actually noise so claim they can’t do anymore. Apparently, vibration is not a statutory nuisance even though the Environmental Protection Act 1990 & Control of Pollution Act 1974 both state; Noise includes vibration. Also, Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 1999 CHAPTER 24 (a) “pollution” includes pollution caused by noise, heat or vibrations or any other kind of release of energy. 

I have lived here for 27 years and it’s only the last few years that I started experiencing the vibrations. I’m feeling so frustrated with the whole situation as it doesn’t seem to be resolvable as things stand... 

King regards, Steven Furse